Know Your Rights
Debt collectors are not required to register to collect debts in the state. Kentucky’s consumer protection laws don’t apply to junk debt collectors. Kentucky has no other laws that designed to control debt-collector abuse. The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”) is the only substantive law that applies to junk debt collectors.
- Unfortunately, Kentucky is the wild west for debt collectors.
- Fortunately, the FDCPA is a powerful law enacted by Congress expressly to compensate for inadequate state laws.
The FDCPA gives you the power to stop harassing phone calls and dunning letters. You can sue debt collectors for violating the FDCPA. If you win or settle with the debt collector, the debt collector has to pay your attorney’s fees and costs, your actual damages, and statutory damages of up to $1,000.00.
A Debt Collector Cannot…
- Telephone you an unreasonable number of times.
- Telephone you at an unusual time/unusual place.
- Disclose information of your debts to third parties, including your spouse and other relatives.
- Use profane or other abusive language.
- Claim to be affiliated with any governmental organization.
- Accuse you having committed a crime.
- Threaten or communicate false credit information.
- Call you before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Call you, but not announce who he/she is.
see all >
Fix Credit Report Errors
Your credit score is the most important pieces of information in your financial life. Your credit score is directly determined by the information on your credit report. Fix your credit, raise your score, improve your life.
Debt Collector Abuse
Are you being harassed by debt collectors? We can give you peace of mind. We can help you rest easier by ending debt collector abuse and harassment. We regularly sue debt collectors and defend lawsuits brought by predatory junk debt collectors.
Collection Lawsuit Defense
If you’ve been sued, you have to fight back. Doing nothing won’t make the problem go away. It will only make things worse and lead to garnishments, liens, and added fees and costs. We can fight for you, and often at no cost to you for our attorney fees.